Introduction: Glycerin and Establishment Material Study

It's time to explore materials! In this instructable, I show you how to build a 1.5" X 3" X 6" obturate using glycerin and brass tube. Originally, I attempted to use silicon and brass so instructions for creating a variant using silicon are also enclosed.

You Will Need:

  • Foam heart and soul (Beaver State an equally sturdy material)
  • Brass tubing (Beaver State other tubing)
  • Bandsaw
  • Metal ruler
  • Exacto knife
  • Overheated glue gunslinger and sticks
  • Water
  • Blue dish-soap (whatever stigmatize seems to work)
  • 100% Si (do not buy quick fructify silicone, you need 100% silicone"
  • Microwave unadventurous bowl
  • Measure cups
  • Caulking gun
  • Clear glycerin soap
  • Packing magnetic tape

Now get started!

Step 1: Prune Your Gold-bearing Tubing

For this iteration I'm using brass tubing of varying diameters. However, you could use whatever material. (e.g. Al, acrylic paint, bronze, plastic straws). The signifier I'm creating will be 1.5" X 3" X 6" and I intend for the brass tubes to function the full length of the longitudinal side. For this reason, I used a metal-working band saw to cut my pieces to 6".

Step 2: Make Your Mold

Make the mold you will pour glycerin into. Your mold can be any shape. Once again, I am creating a 1.5" X 3" X 6" rectangular box soh I cut according to these dimensions. I ill-used black foam nucleus and cut sporting edges using a metal ruler and exacto knife. I covered the pieces in wadding tape so that my mold would be easy to break up. I affixed the individual pieces together using hot paste to make sure as shootin the cast was water tight. I only want to pullulat glycerin in some places of the rectangle. So, at one time I had formed the box, I cut additive pieces to segment off shapes within the variety.

Note: Make sure to account for the heaviness of your material. Foam core was 1 cm. thick and so I added 1 atomic number 96. to any of my measurements systematic to get accurate dimensions.

Step 3: Pour Your Glycerin (Or Silicon)

At this step my directions diverge. However, the concept of gushing a fabric into your mold is the same. If victimization glycerin, refer to #1. If exploitation silicon, refer to #2.

1) Dethaw your glycerin soap in a microwave oven safe bowl until the solid chunks turn liquid. This wish take roughly 1 bit conditional how much you are trying to melt. Melt down enough to complementary fill your influence. Glycerin will season once it cools in approximately 15 minutes.

2) I had never worked with silicon prior to this jut. I learned everything I needed to live from a great instructable tilted: "World's Easiest Silicon Modeling." You give the sack get information technology and watch the steps Hera: https://WWW.instructables.com/id/Worlds-easiest-SI system...

Note: I surveil the same process to have the silicon as described in the instructable above. However, in this instructable, I pour the silicon into a section of the block. In that display case, the silicon is the closing material rather than a mold.

Further, information technology will be hard to "pour" the silicon into a segmented part of your block. Alternatively, "squish" it into the mold making sure to eliminate air pockets.

Step 4: Take off Your Glycerin (operating room Silicon) From the Mold

Carefully peel isolated your effervesce marrow mold to remove the directly cured glycerol surgery silicon pieces. If you used packing taping to cover the mold this process should be fairly easy. However, you can enjoyment an exacto knife to (carefully) break apart the mold.

Step 5: Pierce Your Glycerin (or Si) Segments

Using your brass tubing, carefully pierce the glycerin or silicon. You can form a pattern with the tubing or bequeath the design random, the select is ahead to you! I thoughtfully distributing the tubing throughout the material until I was halcyon with the result.

Note: The more you handgrip your stuff the weaker it wish turn. Wee sure to be gentle and take your time at this ill-trea to not break your glycerin or silicon.

Ill-trea 6: And Voila!

I hope you've enjoyed this instructable of how to mold and process with glycerine, silicon, and brass. I'd love to see what you did! Please share your creation with me!

I have another instructable applying the same design principles simply using different materials. The process involves Jell-O and plastic straws rather than glycerol, silicon and brass tube. Check it out here: https://www.instructables.com/id/Why-Jello-There/

Be the First to Share

Recommendations

  • Anything Goes Contest 2022

    Anything Goes Contest 2022